Thursday, September 18, 2008

Educational Psychology: Questions About Teaching

The first couple weeks of our Educational Psychology class have been fairly philosophical in nature. During our class periods and seminars, more questions are raised than are answers given. Sure, Chapter One of our textbook does lay out a few facts as it defines approximately 14 important vocabulary terms and briefly discuss the No Child Left Behind Act as well as the role of psychological research in education. However, even the book asks more questions. Why do we teach? What is good teaching? Does teaching matter? How can we make a difference? These questions have been provoking some serious thought on my part, particularly thoughts that mirror those same questions: “Will I really be able to make a difference?” “Is teaching the best job for me?” “Will I be a good teacher?” and of course, “How in the world will I be able to do this for the next 30 years?” Uncertainties such as these are not easily resolved, though I hope that by the final days of this class, or perhaps by the time I finish my education degree, I will respond to all of the above questions with conviction and confidence.
Presently, however, I do feel compelled to examine one of the above questions in greater depth: How can we, as teachers, make a difference? Certainly, making a difference in the lives of young people is one of the most fundamental reasons driving my decision to pursue a career in education. I want to ignite a life-long enthusiasm for music in every student who enters my classroom, and I want to teach them the uniquely powerful message of hope, unity, and peace that music can spread. These are noble aspirations, for sure, yet I wonder how I will be able to move from simply teaching the basics day-by-day to truly accomplishing my grand goals. Furthermore, I remain unsure as to precisely whose lives I can possibly touch or change. Is it only feasible to chose a few select students with whom to genuinely bond? Or can I reasonably expect myself to form a personal connection with each individual in my class? The former seems to be the accepted fate of many teachers, while the latter appears to be the fairer and somehow better option. Still, making a difference in any way, in the lives of students or in society, requires a quality we have talked about several times in Education Psychology: passion. My passion for music and my passion for children fuel my desire to truly have an impact in the classroom and beyond. To be excited about making music, to sincerely care about every student, and to be full of zeal for teaching in general: these are the prerequisites for making a difference as a music teacher. These conditions, I believe, will become the foundation upon which my endeavor to become a difference-making teacher is built. Without a doubt, I still have much to learn; however, I think that having this enthusiasm, this zeal, this passion, is the first step in resolving the question of how to make a difference as a teacher.
And what about the other questions I raised earlier that remain unanswered?
Well, I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: