Friday, October 17, 2008

Mid-Terms and Finals and Exams...Oh My!

What is it about the words mid-term and final exam that strikes fear in the hearts of today’s students? Is it the cumulative nature of these tests that causes them to be so intimidating? Or is the fact that mid-terms and finals often constitute a larger percentage of our final grades that makes them send shivers up our spines? Perhaps it is a combination of both these reasons. It seems many students have been classically conditioned to have a physical, negative reaction when presented with the idea of a big test, and even more so when this big test is labeled as a mid-term or final.

I sometimes feel as though I am an exception to this generality. Along with a slight sense of nervous expectation, I often also feel a thrill of anticipation at the prospect of an upcoming exam. Mid-terms and finals are a chance to prove how hard I have been working all semester, and the feeling of satisfaction and relief upon completing an arduous test is rather unique. Of course, these sentiments probably place me in the minority in comparison with my classmates and fellow students. If given the option, I would say that most would choose to complete a group project or give a presentation rather than study for and take a traditional college mid-term or final. For me, however, this traditional type of learning seems to work. I appreciate the predictable nature of these exams, such as the mid-term we just took in Educational Psychology. I have developed effective studying methods that prepare me well for each typical section: multiple-choice, vocabulary definition, and essays. This is not to say that I do not learn from other long-term assignments or types of assessments, like research papers, projects, or presentations; yet for me, conventional and established methods of evaluation and testing actually seem to work.

Still, I must admit that our recent Ed. Psych mid-term was a bit surprising for me and even more of a shock for some of my classmates. Given the more laid-back nature of our class conversations and assignments, along with our tendency to discuss the idea of traditional, standardized tests with scorn and disdain, I can understand why I, as well as many other students, felt taken aback. With further reflection, however, I feel the conventional mid-term allowed me to better understand two key ideas about myself and about learning in general. First, I realized more surely about myself that I learn well under more traditional methods of teaching, which does involve the standard idea of a mid-term or final that I have been writing about. Second, and more importantly, I’s also concluded that most people do not learn their best through this method of teaching and learning only. This is certainly not a new idea, yet it will be vital for me to keep this mind while teaching someday in order to ensure as many of my future students as possible are able to truly learn.

No comments: