Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Tired Teacher and Her Developing Students

The past week has been demanding for me. I had piles of homework this weekend, including studying for an important test, as well as several performances for a few of the musical ensembles in which I am involved. These were in addition to my already busy schedule of classes, lessons, rehearsals, and meetings, and to top it all off, I also realized I am one entry behind on this blog! (For which I apologize, Professor Langholtz, but don’t worry. I’m posting two today to make up for it). Regardless, late nights and early mornings have been the norm for the past several days, and by the middle of this week, I was exhausted due to lack of sleep. In fact, I have discovered new meaning to the phrase “working for the weekend;” I cannot wait to sleep-in on Saturday. However, I often found myself wondering this week, how will I deal with grueling times like this when I am a teacher? As I barely remained awake through lectures and discussions, I was often grateful that I was rarely called upon to contribute, yet I realized that as a teacher, I will obviously have to “contribute” every day. How exactly will I balance my career with other important aspects of my life? How can a teacher maintain a healthy, fulfilled life outside school while simultaneously excelling daily in his or her position?

The balancing act between career and, well, everything else, is certainly a predicament most working adults struggle with, and it is a dilemma I have become particularly aware of as we discuss in class the crucial role teachers play in the emotional, mental, and social development of their students. Fulfilling this critical function is a huge responsibility; teachers possess the capacity to have a profound and lasting impact on the lives of countless young learners, on the way they interact in groups and on the way they perceive education and themselves. At school, children acquire important social skills, shape their sense of identity, and begin to internalize moral and ethical principles, processes undoubtedly affected by their teachers. Of course, having this influence is precisely what I have claimed as an overarching goal in my teaching career: to make a difference in others’ lives. Still, the implications of wielding such an influence specifically in the development of one’s students are intimidating, even scary. Affecting the processes of emotional and social development in children means to have an effect on their emotional and social aptitude for years to come. Especially in elementary school classrooms, I feel it is imperative to understand how malleable and impressionable young students are, as I have begun to recognize upon reading more in-depth on this subject. Along with all other teachers, I will have to constantly keep this in mind in the classroom on a daily basis. My lessons and teaching strategies will need to be planned while considering how to encourage emotional competence, cooperation, individual identity development, and moral growth in my students. Particularly during those tiring, strenuous weeks, when my life outside school is hectic and exhausting, I cannot allow myself to forget how important my role as a teacher will be in the developing lives of my students.

No comments: